Visit Fort Worth and its affiliate Hear Fort Worth announced several initiatives, including travel grants and a recording opportunity with nationally-recognized studio Niles City Sound, to help local musicians develop their talent and reach more people.
Visit Fort Worth also celebrated the third anniversary of the Fort Worth Film Commission, which has assisted hundreds of local film projects and supported several nationally noted films.
Help for musicians
In music, four new programs will spotlight emerging talent:
- A new program called Studio Sessions, in partnership with Niles City Sound, will select four emerging artists to develop and produce a record single. Niles City will announce the artists at the Visit Fort Worth annual meeting Feb. 6, 2019.
- To help artists beginning to tour, Hear Fort Worth will offer travel grants of up to $500 each. Applications can be made through Sept. 30, 2019, while funds last.
- A new Artist Showcase will feature a different musician each month on social media channels and online by Hear Fort Worth and Visit Fort Worth.
- Hear Fort Worth will reimburse musicians who apply to play a showcase at SXSW 2019. This is made possible by a generous grant from 95.9 The Ranch.
In 2017, Fort Worth was named the first music-friendly city in Texas by the Office of the Governor. The program recognizes cities working to support the music industry and promote its economic impact.
Film Commission successes
Visit Fort Worth celebrated the third anniversary of the Fort Worth Film Commission with highlights from recent activity:
- Assisted more than 500 projects in the first three years.
- Secured filming for The Old Man and The Gun, starring Robert Redford, Sissy Spacek and Casey Affleck.
- Secured filming for Miss Juneteenth, a project under development by Fort Worth’s Channing Godfrey Peoples, named one of 25 filmmakers to watch by Filmmaker Magazine.
- Secured filming for Never Goin’ Back by DFW’s Augustine Frizzell, which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival 2018.
- Supported production of the Fort Worth Stories film series.
- Featured in Variety magazine.
Get articles like this in your inbox weekly. Subscribe to City News
- Take action on your Municipal Court cases during Warrant Forgiveness Month
- TEXRail ridership exceeds 11,000 in opening weekend
- MLK memorial to be unveiled downtown
- Sales tax collections up 6.9 percent in November
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day closing schedule
- More News »
Golden Triangle Boulevard & Harmon Road Roundabout Project Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 21, 2019; O.A. Peterson Elementary School Gym, 2000 Winter Hawk Drive.
Canceled City Council Work Session: 3 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Civil Service Commission: 6 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; Bob Bolen Public Safety Complex, Auditorium, 505 West Felix Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76115.
View the agenda »
Canceled City Council Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Chambers, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.