For the next year, Fort Worth residents will no longer be required to obtain a permit before hosting a garage sale.
The one-year trial was authorized by the City Council. At the end of the trial period, city staff will evaluate the impact, if any, on compliance complaints. If there is no impact, an ordinance amendment will be brought forward.
The city processes more than 16,000 garage sale permits per year. The change will allow staff to spend more time processing building permits and other high-priority work. The volume of building permits has increased 34 percent to over 13,000 annually since 2012.
Residents must still follow city regulations, which have been in place since 1977:
- Garage sales are allowed only in residential districts.
- Each household may hold no more than two sales in a calendar year.
- New merchandise obtained for the purpose of resale is not permitted.
- A sale cannot last more than three consecutive days.
- Only one sign, measuring no more than 2 square feet, is permitted and must be located on the sale property.
Code Compliance already enforces the regulations whether a resident has a permit or not.
To report a garage sale violation, call 817-392-1234.
Get articles like this in your inbox weekly. Subscribe to City News
- Take action on your Municipal Court cases during Warrant Forgiveness Month
- TEXRail ridership exceeds 11,000 in opening weekend
- MLK memorial to be unveiled downtown
- Sales tax collections up 6.9 percent in November
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day closing schedule
- More News »
Golden Triangle Boulevard & Harmon Road Roundabout Project Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 21, 2019; O.A. Peterson Elementary School Gym, 2000 Winter Hawk Drive.
Canceled City Council Work Session: 3 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Conference Room 290, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.
Civil Service Commission: 6 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; Bob Bolen Public Safety Complex, Auditorium, 505 West Felix Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76115.
View the agenda »
Canceled City Council Meeting: 7 p.m. Jan. 22, 2019; City Council Chambers, Second Floor, City Hall, 200 Texas Street.